Human Resource Management
Dates: 8 - 26 July, 2013
The course provides a panorama of the key analytical issues in HRM and Employment Relations, recent theories and controversies, and applies them to cases of current interest, such as the new HR challenges of the 'credit crunch'. Its focus is international, drawing especially on the experience of several major OECD countries including in the European Union, the US and Japan. We shall also take account of the growing influence of China and India. We shall examine why human resource management is a key ingredient of business performance, in both the private and public sectors. We shall explore the ways management develops and motivates employees in their organisations, and looks at the role of works councils and trade unions, and the increasing importance of the European and international dimension of employment relations. Among the themes we shall cover are:
HRM strategies and performance
* Human resource management strategy: setting HRM in the wider context of management strategies and stakeholder interests
* HRM and business and organisational performance
* Organisational core competencies, skills and knowledge management
* The conduct of HRM within different 'varieties of capitalism'
Incentives and motivation of employees
* Organisational commitment and the 'psychological contract'
* Motivation and incentives in traditional and 'networked' organisations
* Modern approaches to reward systems and their effectiveness
* Managing human resources across national borders
The course will comprise lectures, work on case studies, and seminars.
There is no set text for this course. Students will be given a set of photocopied materials, and will additionally be expected to make use of reading materials available electronically in the Library.
Lectures: 36 hours Classes: 12 hours
Assessment: Written work, participation and one written examination
Contenido del curso: 12 horas de clase semanales por las mañanas y conferencias y seminarios por las tardes en función del curso elegido.
Precio total: 3.980 €